Smooth CE 2.1 Elliptical Trainer Review:
The Smooth CE 2.1 has been discontinued. We suggest that you have a look at the Smooth CE3.6, which is a redesigned version of the form Smooth CE3.2 lower end home elliptical trainer. It's a ruggeded machine with a longer stride length than the CE 3.6 and has an upgraded display.
The Smooth CE 2.1 elliptical trainer is a new offering from Smooth Fitness that fills in the gap at the lower end of the Smooth CE elliptical line. This new line of CE ellipticals is manufactured in the USA and has more of a club-like, commercial look.
Our preference still leans towards the European styling of the original Smooth CE made by Kettler in Germany. However, the new line is ruggedly
built with a tubular frame. The ergonomic, pivoting foot pedals on the new models are one notable improvement over the original Smooth CE.
- Eddy Current Brake - provides for a gradual change in resistance, which eliminates any jerking or catching of the brake. 16 resistance levels. Also no moving parts to wear out.
- Heavy Gauge 5" Oval Steel Frame - adds strength and durability to the supporting frame.
- Dual Action - upper body handles provide a total body workout. Unique 3:1 lower body to upper body resistance for a balanced workout.
- Heart Rate Monitor - sensors built-in to the handle grips. Does not support heart rate control or telemetric chest strap.
- Back-lit LCD Display - displays course profile, time, calories burned, speed, heart rate, resistance level.
- Exercise Programs - 9 preset programs, all are customizable.
- Stride length - 16" fixed.
- Tilt and Go Wheels - for easy mobility
- Weight Capacity - 300 lbs
- Warranty - Lifetime frame and electromagnetic brake, 2 year parts and electronics, 1 year labor
- Free Shipping
MSRP - $1697.00
Average Selling Price - $1299.00
- Length - 76"
- Width - 28.5"
- Height - 67"
- Weight - 175 lbs
- Flywheel Weight - 20 lbs.
The Smooth CE 2.1 is a decent home elliptical that should provide a long period of trouble-free use. It retains the smooth and quiet operation of the original Smooth CE. However, you should decide if saving a few hundred dollars by dropping down to the Smooth CE 2.1 from the original CE is truly worth it.
The much lighter flywheel (20 lbs vs. 48 lbs.) and shorter stride length (16" vs 18") gives us pause. If you're under 6', then the 16" stride length should be fine. Above 6' and it may feel more on the bouncy side. The longer length of the CE 2.1 over the CE is also something to consider if your space requirements are limited.
Overall, Smooth Fitness should be commended for putting a quality elliptical within affordable reach of more consumers.
Smooth Fitness EllipticalsSmooth Fitness CE7.4 Elliptical Trainer
Smooth Fitness CE3.6 Elliptical Trainer
Smooth Fitness Elliptical Trainers