Smooth CE 7.4 Elliptical Trainer Review:
The Smooth CE 7.4 elliptical trainer is the "Big Daddy" in the core Smooth CE line of elliptical trainers. The CE 7.4 previously a top of the CE line, but has recently been supplanted by the Smooth CE 8.0LC. If you're looking for a solid, commercial grade elliptical trainer that won't break your bank account, then look no further than the Smooth CE 7.4. We even prefer it over the CE 8.0LC for overall value when it comes to price, quality, and features.
The Smooth CE 7.4 was redesigned in 2009 to include a few upgraded features such as built-in coolin fans and an iPod docking station. We could have done very nicely without the cooling fan, which we feel is just a gimmick borrowed from ICON Health and Fitness, but the iPod docking station is a very nice addition.
- Eddy Current Brake - provides for a gradual change in resistance, which eliminates any jerking or catching of the brake. 16 resistance levels. Also no moving parts to wear out.
- Heavy Gauge 5" Oval Steel Frame - adds strength and durability to the supporting frame.
- Dual Action - upper body handles provide a total body workout. Unique 3:1 lower body to upper body resistance for a balanced workout.
- Heart Rate Monitor - sensors built-in to the handle grips. Also supports heart rate control with included telemetric chest strap.
- 4-Window LED Dot-Matrix Display - displays course profile, time, Watts, calories burned, speed, RPM, target heart rate, pulse, resistance level. and metabolic equivalents.
- Exercise Programs - 8 preset programs, all are customizable.
- Stride length - 21" fixed. Perfect stride length for taller users.
- Tilt and Go Wheels - for easy mobility
- Weight Capacity - 350 lbs
- Warranty - Lifetime frame and electromagnetic brake, 5 year parts and electronics, 1 year labor
- Free Shipping
MSRP - $3297.00
Average Selling Price - $1499.00
- Length - 84"
- Width - 27"
- Height - 67"
- Weight - 210 lbs
- Flywheel Weight - 48lbs.
The Smooth CE 7.4 is a bit of a monster at 210 lbs and 85" in length. You'll want to make sure that you have the space to accommodate it and you'll also want to enlist some strong friends to help you move and assemble it! However, if you want a club style elliptical trainer in your home gym, then the CE 7.4 may be just what you've been looking for. When compared to commercial grade models from Life Fitness and Precor costing quite a bit more, it becomes a very attractive contender.
The new CE models have been recently introduced and as a result, there isn't any repair and reliability data to draw from. However, the Smooth Fitness reputation for well-built and reliable fitness equipment bodes well for the CE 7.4.
The sturdy frame, 3-year parts and electronics warranty, excellent stride length, and Smooth pedigree have earned the Smooth CE 7.4 an EH Best Buy.
Smooth Fitness EllipticalsSmooth Fitness CE7.4 Elliptical Trainer
Smooth Fitness CE3.6 Elliptical Trainer
Smooth Fitness Elliptical Trainers